Skip to main content

Acting government a mere spectator


“We are doing our best," Nepal police spokesman Binod Singh said. "But the problem is that most of the attackers do it from hiding and then escape." This is a quote I pulled out from the BBC website. I am glad BBC has finally talked to the police and now we know what the police are doing to stop this act of violence against schools bearing international names. But my question to Binod Singh is “Is it not the police’s job to catch and punish the perpetrators?” 

There is hardly any condemnation from the Nepal Government or any act of law and order maintained by the police in order to stop the barbaric act performed time and again by the Maoist fraction led by Mohan Baidya.  Despite the fact that the Baidya faction has been burning and shutting down schools and school buses none of the civil society members have voiced their concern except one press release from the UN. What are UNICEF and other large organizations who receive billions of dollars per year to protect and work for the children waiting for? And since when is shutting down schools and burning school buses a strategy to make the government listen as aptly said by the co-ordinator Sharad Rasaili, The Maoist-affiliated All Nepal National Independent Students' Union? 

I met an old friend this weekend who consults for a UN organization. He wrote a fine press release condemning the current situation and wanted the heads of the UN to approve it. The press release got shelved because the UN heads did not want to offend any political party members or blame any government body as they wanted to maintain the friendship as long as they are in Nepal. I understand it is important for an international non government organization to maintain a diplomatic relationship but when they fail to do their job for the sake of relationships, these organizations repeatedly fail to fulfill their objective. 

I do not hold the international organizations responsible for not taking out more press releases or for not trying to create dialogues to pave the way for a peaceful closure. This is an internal matter and the government should be held responsible and act accordingly. But the trend in Nepal is such that hardly any person in power is held accountable whether it is corruption or murder or simply violating the rights of the people. Why have these innocent children got to suffer and what is the agenda behind Baidya’s actions against schools bearing foreign names? 

I am nostalgic when I think about the olden days when a murder in the far west would cause an uproar bringing immediate attention of the then deceased King Birendra. There was a time when a strike in the country was a taboo, a time when political parties were accountable and a time when the leaders stepped down if their party members committed an act of shame. Today the democracy in Nepal has provided so much leverage to the ruling parties that none of them are held accountable for fraud, corruption and even murderers are pardoned and allowed to rule. 

The Maoists fought a long war sacrificing many lives, mostly poor; a fight against poverty and corruption. But the same leaders today are embezzling funds from every department they can lay their hands on. The extravagant lifestyle of Prachanda is a proof that these Maoists leaders who survived by sacrificing the poor souls are here to prey on the poor.  It is a scary situation and one dare not ask questions about Prachanda’s wealth and his lifestyle. The shooting of one of the chief justice couple of months back is a strong message to those who dare. 

The security in Nepal is at its worst. The goons harvested by the political parties whip a crime in a whim and the society bears the brunt of it in utter silence. These goons are committing grave crimes in the name of politics where students and their parents are lurched in a limbo watching and waiting in utter despair. And the government becomes a mere spectator too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a