Skip to main content

Moderation is the key to sobriety


This summer, learn what your drink offers, make an informed decision and most importantly drink in moderation.

Last time I enjoyed a guilt free bottle of beer was in college. I had a light beer in a can. That was in the US. I took advantage of drinking beers that claimed to have far fewer calories compared to other drinks. In the spirit of New Years Eve I plan to drink and have a good time. But before I go on a drinking quest I have decided to embark on a journey and learn about the good and not so good truths about the alcoholic beverages. Its summer and I prefer a chilled beer to a 60ml whisky.  If you are worried about your waistline and face the same dilemma as I do, read on. 

As a woman, I meticulously count my calorie intake. Even though I keep a chocolate cookie jar beside my bed, I am quick to blame the drink I had last night if my weighing scale tilts to the right side. I really fret about the calories while dining out and my usual drink is a glass of red wine. Did you know that a glass of red wine, beer and most of the soft drinks have the same range of calories?  I did not. I am not a fool; I know the reason behind my increasing waist line is not just the calories in the drink, what about the fats and the carbohydrate? Think twice before you order those fancy cocktails because a 300ml long island ice tea contains 543 calories more than a McDonald’s Big Mac burger worth 540 calories (imagine downing 3 Big Mac burgers?). One of my past favorite, Margarita, contains 550 calories and a 265ml Mai Tai has 620 calories (www.calwineries.com). All indeed fancy!

It is no longer about the calories now. The more I enlightened myself regarding my usual choice of alcoholic beverages i.e. wine and beer; I realized I was indeed making a good choice. The most important decision is I always drink in moderation. Jude Buglewicz, author of ‘Wine or Beer: Which Is Better for You’ writes that people who order wine do order healthier foods compared to people ordering beer, And here I am ordering the right drink but pairing it with the wrong kinds of food. The truth behind the stigma associated with beer i.e. beer belly has more to do with food that goes before, along with or after than the drink itself. The increasing waist line is caused due to the accompanying snacks and food people consume. And I wondered all this time how my brother’s best friend (a fine lady) never gains an extra pound when she drinks 4 to 6 bottles of beer on a night out. It’s because she refrains from the fried and salty foods – eureka!

The fact is beer is produced from a natural product i.e., malt and wine from grapes. Beer contains no fat and lager beer contains about 0.03g protein per 100g[1]. Any drink consumed in moderation does reduce heart disease but beer and wine in particular claim to have more benefits. A 2000 Danish study claims that "Wine drinkers had significantly lower mortality from both coronary heart disease and cancer than did non-wine drinkers. Resveratrol found in only red wine has been shown to help slow the formation and growth of cancer, though researchers say more studies are needed to confirm this[2].” Drinking beer in moderation is linked to increased high-density lipo-protein (HDL) cholesterol. The carbohydrate hype in beer is now just hype because 100ml contains only 2.7g carbohydrate originating from the raw material malt. The yeast transforms the majority of carbohydrates into alcohol and carbon dioxide. A 650ml beer contains 16% of the daily magnesium requirement and a beer is also a nutrient, containing vitamins and minerals[3]

Although I have learned the basic facts about my choice of drink, I haven’t stopped counting my calories yet. And I do not yearn for a light beer either. Rest assured, with a good choice of drink, I will be ordering healthy snacks too. For those ladies who are fearless and have fun because I believe in work and fun; watch out for the baits (the breathalyzers). Any level of alcohol consumption  while driving is prohibited by law and hence, I have a designated driver as I believe this New Years Eve I gotta start with a chilled beer served in a frosted glass (of course in moderation). Cheers and Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a