Skip to main content

It’s the bacon that matters


We know the importance of earning our own bacon and we know the anguish of waiting!

Women are agreeing to what Anne Marie Slaughter wrote in her article ‘Why Women Still Can’t Have It All?’ and men seem to be debating against it claiming men never ‘had it all’. A male writer recently wrote ‘men don’t complain’ and that is one of the main reasons why their side of the story is never heard, their pain and their pangs of guilt – all bottled up.  

Life was so much simpler when men hunted and women gathered. The task was easy and focused. Men hunted outside of their homes and women looked after their children and homes and waited for a kill to cook and feed their families. Roles were defined and everyone seemed happier. I believe complications started after women started working and bringing the bacon home sometimes more than their husbands did.  

I deliberately use the word ‘complications’ because I don’t see women working and bringing the bacon home as a problem. Men are happy when their women earn and share the household income but instantly upset when they have to share the house chore – this complication then becomes a problem not just for the men and women but for their families too. I understand this complication as any true Nepali working woman would. The problem starts when women feign double standards both at home and work. I agree with Ms. Slaughter’s statement - it is difficult for women everywhere. I do not expect men to understand my family problems when I take leave after leave but I have learned that you cannot expect women to understand either even though they may have faced similar situations in the past. I will quote Madeline Albright here who said “there is a special place for women in hell who don’t help other women,” she must have said this because she even as the Secretary of State of the United States must have faced similar challenges at work and at home as many other women still do. 

Women are touted to perform competently at work as their male peers while juggling a thousand schedules both at work and home. I know, no one asked us to work and some of us who are lucky can afford to stay home too. But the hypocrisy starts here. My mother didn’t raise me to be a housewife but mothers desperately want a daughter in law who can be loyal housewives and the fancy modern mothers wouldn’t mind if their daughter in laws worked and earned too. The saying goes deep in our Nepali culture ‘no matter how educated a woman is she will always have to use the ladle’.  

So why can’t a woman have it all? The answer is women want it all at any cost. We may cry and our guilt may override our planned outings with our girlfriends but we still want it all. We want to become the best daughter, wife, and mother, and at the same time become executives, managers and head of the companies. We happily take the various roles we play on our stride and report to work every day as if nothing could stop us because we know the importance of earning our own bacon, we know the anguish of waiting and we know if we persistently do what we do; WE can buy better quality bacon.

To all those women who either buy their own bacon or wait for their bacon patiently, there is no wrong or right. To think that there are not many women in higher positions, to think that women have lower representation in making important decisions and to this I say keep doing what you are doing and we will get there sooner than later. Women are strong and independent and capable of making our own decisions. I respect every choice: a workaholic mother who just missed her child’s parent-teacher meeting, a house wife who desperately dreams of going to work every day, a mother who wants her daughter to succeed at work and a mother who wants her daughter in law to stay home docile. At the end we make our choices and who we want to be. And yes we will keep complaining because frankly my dear it is no body’s business.

http://www.ekantipur.com/the-kathmandu-post/2012/07/07/free-the-words/its-the-bacon-that-matters/236918.html
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a