Skip to main content

Leave the girls alone



Recently I read an article written by an Indian woman on how she forgot to raise her son well while she paid particular attention to raising her daughter to be an equal citizen. When we talk about gender equality we often focus on girls. How we should raise them - encourage them to fight for their right; admit them to the best schools; never tell them ‘they can’t do it’ and raise their expectations rather too high. I am a mother to a six year old girl and I often cringe every time I tell her – she can do anything if she wants. While we focus too much on raising our girl’s right we forget to pay attention to our sons. 

I lived all my life in a boarding school, the first ten years in an all-girls school. Life wasn’t smooth. We felt foreign to the other gender. We giggled and burst out crazy if a boy approached us. We acted nonsensical at times. We didn’t know how or what they were. They were exclusive – all we saw was the other gender – foreign - boys. We lived in our own bubbles, we fantasized boys would be like the men from the mills & boons and that we indeed needed rescuing. In fact all of us wanted to be rescued – putting rather silly burden on the shoulders of these delicate boys whose mammas raised them to be pompous princess. But being in an all-girls school shattered our fantasies. We weren’t discriminated against our gender. We had to do everything – folding the chairs, carrying the piano stands during the concerts which were pretty heavy, decorating sports ground sometimes climbing the ladder too dangerous for a girl, leading the schools during inter school competitions and aspiring to be like our seniors who were all girls. 

Flash-forward, we grow up to finish college, get married and settle down. We leave our paternal homes forever. We realize we don’t need to lead anymore, our opinions doesn’t matter, we are never a part of the family decisions and well our precious bubbles have been burst by then. But at the same time we are trying to break that glass ceiling at work. We leave our young ones at home because we don’t want to fall behind. We compete at home to carve our identity and we struggle to strive at work. We are constantly trying to be the perfect mom, the perfect employee and the perfect whoever the society wants us to be. 

So I have decided I won’t fight anymore. If my girl likes pink color of everything I will encourage her so. I won’t tell her she should try other colors too. What’s the point, she is a girl she is bound to like pink and what is wrong with pinks for god sake? If I can’t give my 100 per cent at work I will take a back seat. If I cannot be the perfect someone for all the some-ones I am sorry but this is who I am. And I am not sorry I disappoint time and again because I am seriously tired of trying. 

And in the midst of all the craziness to achieve gender balance we have forgotten our precious boys. We still coerce them to play outdoors and like football or basketball passionately even if they suck at it. The boys have to be tougher, they shouldn’t be crying, they need to protect their sisters and their cousins. Why put so much pressure on our boys when we are already raising our girls to be independent and fight their own battles. Why not tell our boys, it’s ok to help mommy in the kitchen and it’s ok to help your sister clean up her room. Why can’t we raise our boys to be independent? Why do we raise them to be dependent on their wives to run their homes? Why are we still raising our boys exactly the way our parents raised our brothers? Forget our girls let’s start raising our boys the right way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a