Skip to main content

A question of choice

If you haven’t watched the latest video starring Deepika Padukone declaring her choices, its ok you still have time to catch up. The video has spurred backlashes procuring articles from many female writers and bloggers and fans stating their disappointment. Shoba De the famous Indian writer talked about the confusion – she said she was confused if the video was about women empowerment or was it an advert for an international shampoo brand and the volume it gives to a beautiful woman’s hair just like Deepikas’.

One of the fans wrote a letter stating the actress is biased when it comes to women empowerment. I believe the ABC Roast video shows her laughing at lewd jokes passed at someone masturbating to Farida Jalal and Semi Grewal’s dildo but at the same time came out strongly when the Times of India published pictures of her cleavage. Now don’t be so harsh I thought to myself, she is just a pretty girl who has all the right things going for her while at the same time making big bucks. She would be the perfect poster child to talk about women empowerment after her admission to being depressed and appearing on the Burkha Dutt show. That was brave of her not everyone will admit to being depressed. It apparently qualifies her to take up issues that haunts women in Indian society – where female foeticide is highest in the world, where men in Bihar are literally carving a new path to bring in their new brides and where well we haven’t yet forgotten the India’s Daughter documentary.

And then we now have the liberty to watch the Men’s choice video too. Thanks to the social media the Men’s choice video too has gone viral and thank god for that because I couldn’t bear to watch Deepika slipping her dress and saying ‘it’s my choice to have sex with whom I want’. The men’s choice video (yes the men in the video are handsome) strikes the right note and it is subtle too. It doesn’t blame the woman’s choice video but in fact deals with the subject maturely by staying true to the message i.e. men and women should be respected for their choices equally and that if men choose to have sex with their girl friends and choose not to marry them then it is their choice. Aren't women being hypocrite when they blame their boyfriends for not marrying them or classifying cheating husbands as dogs. Shouldn’t men have the right to choose too or have women in showbiz become so vain that they feel choice should no longer be synonymous to men?

Many of my own friends in facebook have resonated their opinion against this statement and I write for all my friends who are equally harmed by this shampoo oops Deepika’s my choice video. I don’t think I or any of my friends would be empowered if we chose to have sex outside of our marriage it would simply mean we cheated. And it applies to both men and women – its time women in show biz decide how they want to be empowered. Do they still want to be paraded in bikinis in item numbers while their male counterparts are fully clothed? Do they want to play femme fatales forever or do they want to start taking social cues as to how they want to portray themselves in their movies too.
I also believe that the women appearing in the video don’t need any kind of empowerment, they all seem to be from show biz, fashion and business industries. These women made a choice to be in their professions and if broadsheet media wants to sell their papers by publishing Deepika’s cleavage she didn’t refute to dancing in bikinis to sell her movies and make money. While the video has managed to ridicule what empowerment is for women I hope the director (what’s his name?) and the artists appearing in the video take some grassroots lessons on how India is faring when it comes to women being treated equally not just at work place but at homes too.

Appearing in chat shows and videos and talking about choices does not shed a positive light on the plight of millions of girls and women who face discrimination even in their mother’s wombs. It’s about time women as powerful as Deepika start lending their voices to serious social issues which not only concerns her cleavage but also millions of girls who don’t get to go to school simply because they are girls. Girls who are raped because they are dalits and girls who get married off as young as 9 because the dowry hassle.

I poke at social issues that bother me and sometimes I am biased when it comes to women empowerment but this choice video has taken feminism to a newest height even I can’t fathom.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a