Skip to main content

Two sides of a holy matrimony


Men are polygamous by nature – a fact reinstated by my Biology teacher in grade seven has made such an impact in my life; I am usually biased when matrimony ends in divorce. While I was still in school, I remember every other girl in my class had come from a family that still followed the norms of society – both parents in a blissful union. That was back in the eighty’s. Today our society has taken to the western civilization where divorces though still frowned upon happen more in real life than in a western soap. 

The saying ‘give women a skill and the whole family is secured’ a development term so true can also be the reason for the westernization of the Nepali matrimony. Give women education and a holy marriage no longer seems holier. Back then, I wondered why so many men and women divorced in the western countries and took pride in the way our families functioned. Had I known the reasons behind a divorce I would have never blamed any culture or influence. 

Men are polygamous in nature is not just a biological fact but is equally welcome and nurtured by our society. Living in a patriarchal society is not a smooth sail for many Nepali married women. The trouble at home brews when the families forgive the philandering nature of men who then never learn to realize the impact of their mistakes. Young boys who witness their fathers or uncles getting away with their philandering nature will not think twice before they embark on a similar journey on becoming a man. 

Although understood, socially, that educated and financially stronger women opt for divorces tired of their unfaithful husbands. Women in rural areas are not far behind. Social injustice and domestic violence coupled with their husband’s spousal relationships are some of the reasons marriages end in divorce. 

Nevertheless, I do not want to dwell on the discrimination women face in all corners of life, I just want to emphasize the wide acceptance of males extramarital affairs in our society. Four years back, a colleague of mine just married found out about her husband’s extra marital affair. With numerous attempts coupled with emotional blackmails had failed to stop her husband, she took the matter to her in laws. To her surprise, the in laws refused to believe her and instead supported her son. This blinded faith and support from the elders of the family would definitely encourage any son to commit similar mistakes again. I often wonder what these in laws would say if their own daughter was in a similar situation. 

Schadenfreude I would say. The reason I like this word is because our society thrives on it – we derive pleasure at the misfortune of others. Our society is intent on making the men happier even when they are grieving for their dead wives. Twelve years back, my aunt died at the age of 52 and my uncle was married off because the society felt he would be a lonely soul and that he needed a woman to take care of him. I know for sure, if my uncle were dead instead of my aunt – the society would have never allowed my aunt to re marry because she would not need a companion. Discrimination when alive is painful enough, even after death is truly evil. 

Yes, society is to blame but the personal choices men make is equally to blame leaving the burden of saving the marriage wholly to their women. Because when Nepali marriages fail, the wives are at fault and their husbands showered with the society’s sympathy slip away without a dent – leaving the wives scarred forever. 

When families fail to hold the men accountable for their mistakes the only resort women have is to seek divorce – a woman with dignity and self-respect would definitely take this path. Faint-hearted women will cringe and continue to live with their unfaithful husbands – often paraded by the society as an example for a holy matrimony. Whatever the path the judgment is always bitter because no human being has the courage to fight nature – the polygamous thus rules. 

 

Comments

  1. Nice but biased... This is not applicable when we look to the society where Indigenous people lives. There is only less than 10 % chances where the family of Limbu, Rai, Gurung, Tamang, Sherpa, Bhutia, Sunuwar, Yakkha are ruled by Male. Matriarchy exists but has never been addressed by media either by the law of Nepal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a