Skip to main content

Balancing work life not a priority


How does one balance a work life when one works six days a week? One of my colleagues had sent me a link to watch a motivational speech by Nigel Marsh on ‘how to balance work life.’ I must say Nigel did motivate me to a certain extent but as soon as the speech ended, I was back to reality. The sad part is I had it pretty balanced when I was not working on Sundays.  

Nigel has a lot to say about balancing one’s work life. He says ‘it is the simple things that matter.’ For example taking your kid to a pizza place or just hanging out in the park and play ball (sorry Nigel but we do not do parks in Nepal). It is true, small things do make a difference. When I get home six days a week after work battling the monstrous traffic and the blanketing dust the only thing that I manage to do is smile at my little daughter and hug her. But on a Saturday, I and my husband we make sure we take our three year old somewhere she enjoys even if it is just for an hour. She loves the whole process of going out. Therefore, Nigel, you are right ‘it is the simple things that matter.’ 

My work and life was indeed balanced when I just worked five days a week. I had the Saturdays planned out, was more relaxed and took care of all household chores. Most importantly, I was relaxed because if I could not do everything on a Saturday I still had the Sunday left. I had the whole day left to finish my unfinished tasks. Just the thought of having one more day off after a Saturday calmed me. I did not need to do simple things I could do bigger things too. 

I realized the importance of a Sunday off after I gave up the Sundays eight months back. It still haunts me. My colleagues think I make a big deal but how do they know the importance of a Sunday off when they have never had a Sunday off. I did not need a motivational speech by Nigel Marsh – at least not then. 

Now I do and now I want our lawmakers to see that particular speech by Nigel. Although Nigel does not say work life balance has a lot to do with a Sunday off it is understood because almost all the countries in the world work five days a week only - even China and India who are predicted to lead the world economy by 2030. 

The provocative question is what is the priority for Nepal? Almost every other day one or two districts in Nepal are closed due to a road accident or a political unrest. If one counts the total number of bandh days in Nepal in 2012 due to various reasons (mostly attributed to martyr days), our image is tarnishing. The unaccounted bandhs not only hinders our nation’s economic growth, it puts a lot of stress to those employees who have to report to work if they do not want their companies to minus their annual holidays. Balancing work life is not a priority any more; nobody wants to wash their hands off their hard-earned annual leaves. The carelessness and the ignorance to work towards economic growth seriously have not occurred to any leaders of any political parties. 

Working six days a week may not burden the government employees because most of them hardly ever work full time. I read a news piece in one of the national dailies reporting on the vacant public service centre in Burtibang VDC in Baglung District since two weeks. The officers abandoned their post as soon as the Prime Minister Bhattarai inaugurated the centre. Last month when the debate to make Sunday an official holiday was ongoing, the service sectors strongly rejected the idea as they were concerned the poor would be deprived from the government services. It is disturbing and purely intentional by these unprofessional government officers to collect their salaries but refuse to work for it. These screwed officers would not need to worry about work life balance. As Nigel said, “it is pretty easy to balance work life when I didn’t work.” 

Balancing work life seems like a distant dream for me now. If only our government prioritized to balance working days and monitor the government service providers’ attendance not just in the rural areas but also in the capital; working five days a week would be much more efficient and practical. If only the government monitored this aspect of the service providers’ working modality, I sure would have a driving license by now. It is ironic because I do have a driving license the US Government provided to me in two hour back in 2003 without having to call any influential personnel. 

Phew! Government employees can get away with not reporting to work. Hence, the issue to declare Sunday a holiday may never be a priority. But what are the poor souls who work for a private company supposed to do? Nigel Marsh do you have another motivational speech?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a