Skip to main content

Bangles and more


Why do I fail to impress my near and dear ones time and again? For the record, my latest failure was during a Teej party.  I happened to wear a beige kurta oblivious to the fact that everyone around me was wearing red. Don’t get me wrong I do wear red kurtas and sari often and I love the colour red. But I do not understand the importance of wearing red in each and every festival. Why do we ostracize other colours that are equally rich and vibrant? I fail miserably coordinating red coloured clothes with our festivals and believe me it is not intentional. But it is so simple; the only colour I need to coordinate with all our festivals is RED. So why do I fail to accomplish such a simple task time and again?

No, I do not blame it on being huddled at a boarding school in one of the hill stations in India for years from the tender age. I do not blame all those years of not being home when Teej came around. I was deprived of enjoying the celebration of woman hood and bonding over delicious foods and increasingly extravagant parties.  Although I was a happy kid in school; I have complaints now. Now that I know how much fun women have during Teej; I miss the many years of detachment from one of the main events of celebrating woman hood, marriage and prosperity. Teej is a festival dedicated to goddess Parvati commemorating her union with Lord Shiva, celebrated for marital bliss, well-being of spouse and children and purification of own body and soul.

But this is not just about wearing red, praying and fasting. The culture of celebrating Teej, which should have been a part of my upbringing sadly was not. The tradition of exchanging intricate red glass bangles, beeds and tikas among married women is a beautiful gesture of sharing the joys of marriage. Friends and families get together to enjoy days of good food, fortune, dancing and a whole lot of gossiping making them bond stronger strengthening their relationships further. Teej manages to do what other festivals fail to. Teej provides women the freedom to celebrate their marriage with their own sex and without any intrusion. Teej is a dynamic festival as even unmarried young girls celebrate the festival sometimes with more vigour than their married counterparts.
Despite its grandeur, I fail miserably to connect from within with the Teej festival. I personally encountered Teej for the first time in my life at the age of 27, the same year that I was married. Although it is difficult for me to wholly accept Teej at this point in my life, I wish I was exposed to this beautiful festival from a small age. The importance of being attached to the cultural nuances and that of Hindu religion was never a part of my upbringing.  However, I also appreciate the importance it has on women in Nepal and I am slowly bringing myself to enjoy it. The celebrations of Teej have progressively changed over the years, and in a way it marks the empowerment of women in the society. 

Despite my ignorance and my detachment, I love Teej for all the parties, the delicious foods and the shopping, women dancing, I love everything about it. I make it a point to participate in all the Teej functions and celebrate being a woman with a hint of red.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a