Skip to main content

Awkward Teej lunch

Yesterday was one of the most awkward lunches I have ever had. You all know it was Teej and here I was tagging along with my husband and my 6-year-old to the famous KFC in Durbarmarg. Well the place isn’t for vegetarians it’s after all famous for fried chicken. I was the only other female present in the entire restaurant besides the employees. The other lady dressed casually in a red salwar suit sat with her male companion but she refrained from eating. And there I was chowing down the famous zinger (only wishing they had the spicy one too) kind of awkward.

I had like zillion thoughts in my head running thinking wondering what the guard and the employees of KFC thought about serving me chicken in Teej while the rest of female longed for the day to end. Majority of women observe fast on this day to exclusively lengthen their husband’s lives. I have reasoned many a nights thinking how my lifestyle choices affect my husband’s health and life. Thinking aloud that I would run a 100 miles every day if the benefits showed up in my husband’s body. I would sacrifice many a meals consisting of meat products if it actually made my husband healthier. Well the thing is if I run, it benefits my body not his. And if I fast I may lose 000.0001 percent of my body fat but his won’t budge. So just considering the ‘what I know for fact’ and evaluating the traditional rituals I have reasoned enough to understand for sure that only I can affect my life and not anyone’s. So what on earth are we women fasting for?

There must be reasons beyond my imagination for the faith and the ritual that has passed on hundreds of years with which I cannot reason. Sadly, not long ago, women had to kill themselves if their husbands died early in the name of “Sati”. Widows were often and still considered a bad omen if they are present in auspicious Hindu events. Child widows after losing their husbands would have to live in ashrams devoting their lives to the service of temples and fulfilling the sexual desires of pervert sadhus and saints. Even today if a woman loses her husband she is often ostracized by the family and the society.

But what I know for sure is that this isn’t merely about our husband’s long lives but because women are dependent from every aspect – financially, socially and physically – this is about promoting gender discrimination. The lives of our male partners matter much more than the opposite sex, it is a discriminatory fact.  Because women are weak economically from every aspect – from inheriting parental property equally or at all to being a second class citizen in her husband’s family to losing her identity and failing to pass the legal citizenship to her children. She, we, women are weaker and hence act on every religious day/festival to pray for our husband’s health and long life.
Had it been the other way around. Had we had the rights to inherit our parental property just by being born a girl. Had we the equal rights to pass on our legal identity to our children without our husband’s name. Had we the right to live in our parental homes without having to move into our husband’s homes. Had we the equal right to live the lives of our male partners’. Had we the right to just live without judgements of simply being a woman – there would definitely be a Teej but I bet the significance of the festive would be much more gender friendly and we would end up fasting for our own long and healthy lives. The boys would have one of their own special Teej and an opportunity to fast for their long lives!

PS: The girl with the chicken leg isn't me ;)

Pic credit: http://www.coreconnectionlifestyle.com/why-i-wont-make-you-stop-eating-general-tsos-chicken/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a