Skip to main content

Bicycle – a new vehicle to save new born lives!

Would you cycle for a cause if that cause is orchestrated to save new born lives? I would; not because I work for Save the Children; I care because I am a mother. Did you know that 33,600 children in Nepal die each year before they turn 5? And, did you know that the first 1000 days (the day a child is conceived until the child turns 2.5 years old) is the most critical window period for a child’s survival and its overall growth? (learn about the first 1000 days at www.savethechildren.org)

This July 20th, Save the Children in partnership with Social Tours is organizing Kora Cycling event with the objective to raise NRs 100,000,0 to build a model birthing centre in Baitadi. Baitadi is the farthest western district of Nepal and is deprived of road access and basic infrastructures. For people living in Shamali VDC, it takes them 2 days on foot to reach the nearest district hospital and 3-4 hours walk to the nearest health post. There is a silver lining - a sub health post is situated 30 minutes away. But families here do not want to take risks and instead walk for two days to reach the district hospital sometimes endangering the lives of pregnant women and their unborn children.

The risks calculated by these folks living in Shamali VDC makes sense because the sub health posts and the health posts lack the basic necessities required in a birthing center and even more so if expecting mothers require surgical support. The sub health post in Shamali VDC has a single rusted iron bed, a plastic sheet is used as linen and a used butter jar holds the placentas. Lack of sterile surgical equipment, access to clean drinking water and electricity is a far flung demand. A mother is lucky if a health assistant is present. Expecting mothers in Shamali VDC therefore prefer to give birth at home in the presence of someone they trust – mostly a sudini (a Nepali name for women who assist in birthing). All goes well if the term is normal and mother delivers the baby normally. But not all birthing is success and many expecting mothers die while giving birth along with their unborn children.
The scenario above is nothing new in Nepal’s far flung hard to reach villages. A staggering 33,600 children are dying every year in Nepal before they reach 5 years. If you have ever dreamt of being a part of a worthy cause the Kora cycling event is the right start. The objective of this year’s event is to spread awareness about the dire conditions of health posts in Baitadi and raise funds. The event is a part of Save the Children’s global campaign ‘Everyone’.
To be a part of the event log on to www.facebook.com/kathmandu.kora and cycle with us to save the new born. The Kora Cycling event invites each one of you to join our cause, own the cause and in unity work towards saving the lives of expecting mothers and their children.
The funds raised from this event will be used to build a new model birthing center in Shamali VDC, Baitadi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a