Skip to main content

Unforgiving numbers


‘I am older now’ is my go to mantra for everything wrong that happens in my life which I don’t bother to right it. Someone stupid said one fine day age is just a number and then people started falling for it. Age is a number plus its infinite principal. Last night I was asking my husband if he remembered when my upper arm joints had started hurting regularly. And he casually mentioned it must have been two years ago. With age, some parts of my body that I didn’t even know existed have started hurting a little more from all the wrong sides. I suffer from fibromyalgia. I also used to suffer from plantar fasciitis. The names of these diseases deeply bother my husband – not sure about the pain. 

Last week was my birthday. A colleague sent a horoscope link and one of the lines read ‘cancer signs are so moody that even they don’t know when our mood changed’. Nothing to be proud here. I have also heard myself saying ‘15 years too late for social media’ and yet I hang around it like a typical loser trying to fit in and yet not fitting in. Not fitting and not being popular in social media doesn’t bother me a lot but it kind of pricks – so hollow.

I slept like a baby for four days and even the sleep started ageing. Here I am after four days of good night’s sleep tossing and turning a thousand times with my phone furiously typing away at 12am. The thought of keeping a bottle of cough syrup on the side hasn’t left my mind since and then night comes again - the sleepless knife tugging me further and further away from the la la land.

This month I went on an all girl’s getaway trip with five girlfriends. We went on a 4-day shopping trip to Delhi. Prior to my flight I booked myself for a full legs and arm wax. The beautician decided to rip a line of my eyebrows amidst the excitement. And there I was calm and serene. Age does this to you. Had I been an 18yo I would have ripped all her eyebrows but then double that and nothing seems to alarm me anymore. So, waxed and ready for the trip and I wouldn’t have the guts to wear my half pants coz I am shit scared of india (did you notice the small i). When I booked the apartment, I sent a special message saying we wanted a vetted(?) driver considering how unsafe Delhi was for girls. Never received a response. The uber and ola spoiled us and was just the answer in the sweltering Delhi heat.  AC cabs right in front of us anywhere we wanted to be picked and dropped. And then I thought about the expensive run down Maruti taxis with equally rude drivers in Kathmandu.

The other day, a senior colleague entered my room and showed me her muffin top. I found myself saying, ‘di I am getting there just wait up’. I also told her the other option - tummy tuck. It must have been all the sweets I mutter silently. Dairy milk doesn’t qualify to be in the chocolate category. As if their prices weren’t outrageous enough they decided to save a bit of sugar by creating air bubbles. Who eats chocolate with air bubbles any ways? 

I requested a dynamic young girl who used to intern in our office to intern in my home instead. My eight-year-old wanted me to help her make videos on musicly and I didn’t know how to go about it. I searched and searched for Nepali sounds to help her make her own video and I failed miserably at that. I reassure myself this has nothing to do with age. The social media is in fact evolving too fast. I am glad I asked the young girl friend to help, she just sent me three videos in which thankfully my 8yo looks happy doing what she wanted so bad.

I guess the only good thing about this age is I now know what kind of wine and chocolate to purchase. I guess these are the only two things that make difference in determining what makes me happy for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a