Skip to main content

#metoo

This year has been a lot about #metoo movement. Last month the women in US marched together in many states to raise underlying issues – issues that we have normalized. The unity of our gender calling for equal measures is a distant dream here in Nepal where we have yet to speak against sexual violence of all forms and equal pay for women.

And then on the other side of the world we hear about this brave 17 yo Ahed snubbing #wtf to the Israeli soldiers resisting against years of injustice. Ahed in many ways reinstates that women are the stronger gender designed to withheld with infinite patience every injustice thrown at her. No, she isn’t the kind of empowered feminists from Hollywood the west decides to gallantly define what women’s courage looks like. Ahed is fighting for justice against oppression – for every person who have witnessed violence and bullying all their lives. I would have liked the women of Hollywood to bestow the same compassion and empathy they showered for Malala.

I want to talk about our gender and how they are faring in the far west of Nepal not the west. I was there a couple of months ago for work. To sum up; it is pretty much the same all over the world - poverty sucks for women! I interacted and observed a lot of people. What wasn’t surprising was that women did all the chores. Men were just being them – doing nothing. I met a 21-year-old girl in Bajhang who was seven months pregnant and thin as a stick. She was working as a kindergarten teacher and was earning NPR 4500 per month. Her husband didn’t work. Her mother answered on her behalf; “tell her, your in-laws don’t give you enough food!” when I enquired if she ate lentil, rice and vegetables two times a day. She barely uttered a word.

A Teacher who earns NPR 4500 per month in Bajhang does not have the freedom to eat two proper meals a day, because she is a woman and that too when she is pregnant. While visiting a health post, I learned that many women ask the attending nurses or health post in charge to kill the new born (surki lagaideu); if it is a girl. Of course, the staff would never do that. But negligence for the new born baby girl starts right from the time she inhales her first breath. Gender based violence and gender discrimination takes a whole different turn in this part of Nepal.

The life of Ahed and this 21 yo pregnant girl from Bajhang is stark. Their fight is different yet similar in so many facets – one fighting for liberation from oppression and the other fighting for liberation from her own.

A #metoo movement or a women’s march isn’t going to work for women living in poverty. One of the underlying factor for gender based discrimination globally is women do not control the finances. We may fight for equal pay at our work but at our homes we still refuse to see the discrimination we are thrusted upon since the day we are born – or even from the time of our conception. Yes, change comes from within. And one of the most fundamental question is, will we ever fight against our own?  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a