Skip to main content

lost friend



The mud and brick house reflected the sunlight rays. The reflection was so warm I could have stayed there without moving forever if only someone ensured I wouldn’t miss out on the bigger fun. I often hung out with my brother’s friends as I didn’t have any of my own. Rabindra a common friend in my brother’s gang of boys was nice, he didn’t mind playing with me despite the fact that I was a girl. This particular memory of him and I playing together is so sketchy sometimes I worry if I have conjured it up in my own little head. Then I think out loud, why I would imagine something that didn’t happen? It is not like I was hopelessly in love with him or ever yearned to play with him.

I remember this thirty second frame so well that today I decided I should type it finally. One day I believe it was after lunch all my brothers friends were playing in our neighborhood. I was there I remember vividly. Suddenly, someone mentioned Rabindra had a collection of stamps and that he would share it with us. All of us were super excited. My own brother collected stamps so I was naturally happy for him. As for me I didn’t care if I would like a stamp or not. Neither did I care about collecting them. The thing is I didn’t have patience back then either. If an interest clicked I wanted everything to be complete at once losing the humor that collecting anything takes time. So there I was without any friends of my own tagging along with my brother’s gang of boys and not caring how Rabindra would satisfy all of us with his stamps distribution. 

So we waited outside his house. Someone called out his name. He peered out of the second floor’s window. All of us looked up and started screaming his name asking him to give us the stamps he had promised. He said something. I recall he was gesturing with his little hands for us to wait. We kept shouting for him to hurry. And in no time the stamps were gliding in the air. The white ones reflected against the sun rays making them invisible for a second and then reappearing again. All of us were gleaming hoping to grab as many as we could. Somehow the stamps glided in slow motion and before I could realize what had just happened – the stamps were gone – all of it. 

I didn’t realize until then what it would feel like to not have a single stamp. My brother and his friends were smiling ear to ear counting how many each had. The noise faded and I was standing there without a single stamp. I was tremendously sad immediately. The sun no longer warm I felt a great injustice was bestowed upon me and that it wasn’t fair.  I looked up and Rabindra was still there staring at us. 

He noticed I was terribly sad and I made sure my sadness was visible. Just then he called out my name and I looked up again. He smiled and showed me a stamp waving his hands at me. I smiled. The world moved again. I don’t exactly remember what I did with the stamp but he surely did save me from being miserable. I went to a different school and never saw him again. 

I met him almost 22 years later right after I had come back from the states. He had come with our neighbor as our house were full of guests – after all it was my wedding preparation. My neighbor introduced us, we greeted each other casually nodding our head. He still looked the same only grown up. I didn’t think about our meeting – I was too busy. I don’t think we even talked. Last night while I was preparing to fall asleep this memory of stamps falling down from his windows appeared so strong I knew immediately I had to note it down before I forget the little details. 

I missed an opportunity to reconnect with my old friend that day almost 8 years back. Here is what I have learned. If I ever meet any of my childhood friends I will definitely seize the opportunity to reconnect. I hope you will do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a