Skip to main content

My little girl is graduating kindergarten




ta ta kindergarten
Like every other mom, I am paranoia when it comes to making life-changing decisions that concerns my little girl. She is a big girl now she says; I guess she is. She will be graduating kindergarten in a couple of months and my palms are already sweating. I think I am going to cry. I have embraced a wining baton when it comes to uncontrollable emotions. 

Okay, I lied. It isn’t so much that her graduation is making me paranoid as much as it is the admissions for grade 1. My husband and I have actually worked it out. We want to admit her in a school that does not force us to go through the general application process. I have seen one of my friends almost go crazy last year – thankfully all turned out well. Am I in for a similar ride? I am already in that vicious cycle; I have not just realized it yet. I snapped out of it today when my colleague asked me why an international school? The first thing I thought was have you seen the lines in front of the schools during the testing time? It sure is sometimes longer than a line of people waiting to buy an IPO share. Then I thought, I am refusing to follow the dreadful traditional admission procedure that most parents go through once in their lifetime – admitting children in grade 1 is one hell of a tiring and depressing process in Kathmandu. 

Why are schools bent on testing the little children who can hardly sit still in a chair for five minutes? I worry because my daughter will not sit through hours of testing. She may know her ABCs but she does not understand there are repercussions for not answering all questions – she will be refused admission left and right. I worry because the pressure our schools demand from a five to six year old is ridiculous. They are expected to read and understand the questions and answer them neatly. Hell they cannot wipe their bums or wipe their noses, forget answering all questions and passing the test.
It is unhealthy for a child when parents are adamant on admitting their children to the schools of their choice. Little children as young as five attend coaching classes because certain schools have the so called ‘standards’ and hence have difficult test questions. Parents admit their children to certain kindergartens for the sole purpose of admitting them to a particular school. Does it make sense? No, it does not. I know parents follow these ridiculous practices because they have no choice and because they want to ensure their children receive the best education they can afford.   

A kindergarten principal mentioned that one of the student’s mother’s only objective for her child was to admit her child into a particular school. Imagine the pressure on the child. I do not even want to go into the details of the faulty admission regulations our schools flaunt. Or the equally ridiculous education system in our country that remains a mere spectator to this fiasco refraining from taking actions even when schools are charging exorbitant admission fees. Some schools interview and even hold Focus Group Discussions amongst the aspiring parents of the aspiring children for admissions. I am yet to comprehend how my intelligence or answers should affect my child’s prospect of getting into the school. And of course if you cannot speak English, you might as well not have your child apply! These are external and beyond our control. What we can control is ensuring they learn to write three line answers without properly understanding what they have written.

The pressure and the trauma our children face when they sit through two or even three tests are unimaginable. Children are smart they resonate what we think and they in turn make sure we, as parents aren’t let down. We may follow a disappointing suit of this dreadful admissions process come April but we must understand there are many things that we can take charge of. We can make sure our children are not subjected to a second round of disappointment – from us. We forget what we were as a child. We forget as a child how we cherished our parent’s approval and how we drained ourselves emotionally when we did not meet our parent’s expectations. 

I and my husband may or may not follow the admission process blindly that is a different story. But what we are sure is that we don’t want to push our daughter to sit for tests in different schools. We want to make sure that our daughter isn’t subjected to the first official rejection at this tender age of five. We want to get her educated in a school that will admit her despite the fact that she may not spell and write her name correctly. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a