Skip to main content

Managing traffic our problem too!



Every day while I drive to work and fro I have this epiphany; what if the traffic police followed a work routine similar to that of other government employees? What would happen, if the fine women managing the traffic in Tripureshwor decided to take a long tea break? And if the traffic police in Gaushala chowk decided to register their attendance and take their wives for a shopping spree? Well, the Katmandu traffic would definitely come to a halt. Drivers would fight among each other and all hell would break loose. This article is a salute to all the hardworking men and women who have held the most difficult job in our country – managing the traffic. 

Our traffic lights never work. The solar panels that power the traffic signals have gathered dust. The drivers do not care. Everyone is in a hurry. The pedestrians are in a hurry. No one wants to wait. We have run out of patience – no one bothers to stop, look and go. Everyone wants to go, just go. The traffic police continue to do their job with what little resources they have left. I think they manage just fine. If only we civilians acted our part just fine.  

One of my colleagues had updated his status in Facebook saying he is tired of Nepali people complaining. Pardon me dear colleague because I am about to do the same – complain. Once upon a time, there was a time when everyone drove stress free in Kathmandu and dreaded the famous Kalanki jam. Well Kalanki is a history now – the history of the famous jam is replicated famously in almost all the cross overs inside the Kathmandu city. 

Who is to blame? Do we put the blame in the traffic signals that never function? Do we blame all the banks that have enabled 99 per cent of the four and two wheeler owners albeit the high interest but the easy EMIs to storm the roads. Do we blame the ever increase pedestrians who are always waiting on each side of the roads? Whom do we blame? The broadened roads? 

I blame myself. I hate my fellow drivers both public and private, the bike riders and I equally hate the pedestrians. I do complain often. If I stopped, I would be attending one or two therapy sessions on anger management. I love that about myself; I will not hesitate to rant out to any one on the road if they happen to snub me (but of course, I do that with my windows rolled up) I do not want people to hear the degree of profanity I am capable of bursting out.  

The roads are bad. Vehicles are too many, pedestrians and bike riders are a lot many and poor traffic controllers too few. Ahh the poor traffic police. Theirs is the only job I would not want to take up if I was ever on the verge of famine. I would lead a pogrom if I ever had to direct the traffic in our city.
The density of air pollution and the degree of sound pollution I believe is a war in itself that our traffic police are brave enough to face and challenge. The sun’s harsh rays have faded their uniforms. They look dirty, tired, and often irritated. Imagine standing in the middle of thousands of honking vehicles and bikes who are all on the verge of running each other repeatedly. Imagine! 

Well, I have decided to blame myself for the utter nuisance we create for ourselves in our roads. If only we were not in a hurry. If only, we thought of letting the other vehicle pass before us, just once. If only we did not park at our convenience and create havoc for other drivers. If only we drove in our lanes. If only we acted in a civilized manner. If only we respected the authority. If only we loved our country a little. 

Tomorrow while you are on the road, do your bit. Relax, do not rush but do not miss the traffic signal. Just do your bits I am sure there are many like us who want to do our bit but then get carried away – specially the little boys behind the microbuses. They are rogues I tell you. But that’s all they know, they didn’t need to learn the basics to get behind the wheel. All they had to do was escalate, maneuver and hit the brakes. Eureka, everyone can drive.

Yes, if only the traffic department decided to spend wisely and strategically. If only they decided, many roads would be better off if it was a designated one way only. If only the traffic signals functioned routinely and well if only we the drivers respected the situation and took control of it. So next time, when you decide to argue with the traffic police or hit the gas until you emerge a winner remember the traffic police are humans too. Remember they are on the road 24/7 come Dasain or Tihar, rain or sun. They do not get long lunch breaks; neither can they fake their attendance. Try and be a little civilized if you can – it is completely ok if we turn up couple of minutes late.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a