Skip to main content

Public schools failing our future generation



Every time I pass by Durbar School opposite to Rani Pokhari, the sheer magnificence of the building amazes me. Last week I took a detour and walked inside the compound for the first time. I knew it was neglected but didn’t realize to what extent. It’s a pity. Durbar School isn’t an exception and there are many public schools that need some serious monitoring to check whether the children are receiving quality education or not. It is time the government takes stringent measures towards restoring and protecting historical architecture including the monitoring of public schools that are in dire needs of students mainly due to their depilated conditions. The rate of admission in our public school is minimal which should be of serious concern.
Although the drive to upgrade secondary schools to higher secondary (HS) seems like a right thing to do. I was lucky to visit some public schools and I noticed many public schools in Kathmandu and other districts are facing more serious and bigger problems – students aren’t enrolling themselves to the public higher secondary schools. So where are they going? 

I spoke to few school teachers in Kathmandu, Chitwan and Bardiya and although they were quick to respond to my questions, every one requested their schools names be withheld. This is ridiculous I thought, but then nobody wants trouble. One of the HS Schools in Sanepa has managed to receive only fifteen students in grade XI this year. Last year they received only six students. It’s a pity that these students from grade XI and XII do not have a dedicated class teacher. The Education Department does not ensure that schools have teachers assigned to teach various subjects. In the meantime we have schools being registered haphazardly by District Education Offices without proper verification to ensure that they meet minimum government criteria. One of the graduates Sikha (name changed) of the school was approached by the school’s teacher to help.  Sikha agreed but she does not receive any salary for teaching these two grades and she is considered a paid volunteer – NPR 150 per day. There are four paid volunteers in this school. 

The HS School in Madi, Chitwan and another HS School in Jagatpur, Chitwan have resorted to similar fates. The maintenance funds allocated to each public school is minimal to the extent that schools are forced to seek exam and admission fees despite the fact that all public schools cannot charge a single penny to the students. There are students whose parents cannot afford to pay the admission and exam fees which force many students to drop. 

Principal, HS School, Chitwan said, “We are doing everything we can to keep the students in school. But we also have to charge minimal admission and exam fees otherwise we won’t be able to pay our teachers.”

A Lower Secondary (LS) School in Banghusri, Padnaha VDC, Bardiya is facing the wrath of funding problems. “One of the main reasons we have been able to attract students is because of the lunch money we provide through the day meal program initiated by the government – 12rs per day,” said one of the members of the school board. Although LS School is a public school, it also faces similar problems – lack of teachers for all classes. The school is forced to hire part time teachers who are paid through the community fund and the forest user’s group fund. 

It is illegal to charge students’ admission and exam fees but schools have to hire private tutors and the burden ultimately falls on the students. 

One of the students studying in HS School, Chitwan said, “We have all managed to pass the SLC with great difficulties. My parents cannot afford to pay the admission fees for grade XI so I will either go to Malaysia or Qatar. My future is sealed.”

The Principal nodded in agreement and added, “We have lost many students because they know even if they study through high school they won’t get a proper job so their parents prefer foreign employment for their children. And many families are building concrete houses with their boys sending them money from abroad.”

With more than half of the potential high school students leaving for foreign employment, public high schools will continue declining enrollment rates. It reminds me of the HS School in Sanepa which managed to enroll only fifteen students this year. 

I asked Sikha why there isn’t a dedicated teacher for grades XI and XII and the reason for the drop in enrollment, and she answered, “There are many reasons. This school in Sanepa falls in the route where none of the public vehicles ply but because there aren’t any dedicated teachers for the higher grades, and classes are irregular. Almost all teachers are affiliated to one or other political party and hence no one cooperates. The children suffer and those who can afford will by all means go to a private high school.”

While the parliament members are struggling with the much delayed constitution writing process, the state is overlooking a crucial gap – quality education for our future generation is still farfetched.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my future teenage daughter

My dear daughter, you are only seven today but you will soon be seventeen. And when you become 17 I know the world will no longer be the same for you and I. We will be together in the same house but we will be distant apart in our heart and head. I was once 17 you know. And like everything else nothing is constant so before you grow up too fast I am writing a letter to you and the million other 17 year olds just like you. Love life - you are going to fall in love - hard. So hard that you are often dizzy with love. A love that is insignificant but withholds you from achieving all your dreams. Dreams that you dreamt when you were barely ten. Dreams that your parents dreamt for you when they first held you in their warm loving arms. Dreams that your mother dreamt for you when you were just a tadpole in her growing tummy. You are 17 and you have just graduated high school. At the verge of becoming an adult. You think you are big enough to make decisions and that you know the best f

Dreams pursued

My precious Photo: Shradha Giri Last night my nine-year-old and I held hands and cried. We then laughed and then cried again. This isn’t something we normally do – our daughter, our precious one who was quiet for a change sat still, listened to what I had to say. The thing is, I have decided to change my career at this age and it is creating a ruckus which I didn’t think of earlier. I guess no one thinks through until the day one starts working on the decision. I decided a year and a half ago that I would invest in a school. Both my husband and I danced at the idea one idle weekend. We didn’t think of the distance - 500km. A year and a half spent running to banks, local ward office and to tax departments, the deal was done. Just like that with considerable amount of loan on my shoulders, I became a part of the system where I have always wanted to make a difference. I spent the past two weeks in my new role and I was baffled by what I observed (I also spent a few nights c

Oh boy! women bleed

Menstruation is a taboo. No one talks about it. Women do not openly purchase sanitary napkins. We pretend we don’t menstruate. We refrain from talking about our period at homes and at work places. I have always tried to reason with the stigma vis-à-vis the biological fact a female body goes through. Like how men have beards when they hit pubescent - girls bleed. What’s the big deal I repeat? Often, families and friends laud the teenage boys for sprouting one line moustache or a goatee. The boys are identified for being macho and finally a man. On the contrary, families hide their girls when they start their first period, ashamed when their bodies provide proof that the girl is perfectly healthy and normal. These young girls go on to believe that their bodies have betrayed them. They coax their bodies because suddenly it has made them impure. They can no longer mingle with the other sex openly; they must be mindful and often face exclusion from family functions. They are forced to a